Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The World's Most Interesting Man


I’ve seen this advertisement a few times over Christmas break at my house.  The advertisement is for a used car website called WittAuto.com.  The commercial is a spoof of the “world’s most interesting man” Dos Equis commercials.  The commercial announcer basically talks about how classy the man in the commercial is.  The man in the commercial however is not classy in the least.  This is the link to the commercial on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY3zZ3TcaEg
                The style of the advertisement is playing to humor.  The commercial can be funny even if you haven’t seen the Dos Equis commercials.  I don’t think this can be categorized under one of Fowle’s appeals.  From what the announcer says it seems like it appeals to the need for prominence, but the man is described as a “fine food officianado”   while he is analyzing a box of lucky charms.  It could be potentially classified as the need for affiliation when the two people are talking to him at the end, but this is the same format as the Dos Equis commercial, so I don’t think it is intended.  I think this commercial is meant to make people laugh, in hopes that consumers will remember their website.  I actually thought this ad was pretty effective to remember the business.  I was able to recall what the website name was when I searched for the video.  It didn’t convince me to buy a car from there, but I do have the name of the website in the back of my mind.  So I would consider this ad effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment